Quick Look: Police Reports and Protective Orders

police-and-POVictims of domestic violence often feel isolated and aren’t sure where to turn for help. At the Hotline, we’re here to help you find resources and discuss your options if you are in an abusive relationship. For some victims, those options include taking legal action against their abusive partners. Often these actions include filing police reports or obtaining a protection order.

Keep in mind that proceeding with a police report or a protection order is a personal choice, and you should only take these steps if you feel safe doing so. But first it’s important to understand what these documents are and what they can do for you.

Police Reports

A police report is one way to document the abuse and can be the first step toward filing criminal charges. You will be asked detailed questions about the incident and about any witnesses and the perpetrator.

How do I file a police report?
It’s best to file as soon as possible after an incident. Typically, you will need to go to the police station to file a report, or an officer can be dispatched to you. You may be able to file the report by phone by calling your area’s non-emergency number. In some cities you can file the report online. If it’s been a while since the incident happened, you’ll need to bring as much evidence as possible (ex. Journal/log, photos, witnesses, etc.). Provide as much information as you can as clearly as possible, and be sure to express if you feel threatened or have any fears about your partner. Anyone can file a police report, regardless of age (but if you are under 18, the police might contact your parent/guardian).

Why would I file a police report?
It is a way to document abuse and create an official record for the abusive partner, which may be used as evidence in a criminal or civil case.

What happens when I file a police report?
Once you file the report, you become a witness in the state’s case against the perpetrator. The case will be assigned to a detective in your precinct, who will begin an investigation. The detective will likely contact you to ask additional questions and discuss the case. Once the detective has completed the investigation, he/she will submit a report to the County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.

While you do not control whether the case is prosecuted, most prosecutors will not go forward without your consent. Prosecutors usually consider many factors in determining whether to prosecute without a victim’s consent, including whether there is enough evidence to support a conviction without the victim’s testimony. If you have any questions or concerns throughout the process, you have the right to contact the case detective and/or the prosecuting attorney’s office.

Protective Order

A protective order is an official legal order issued by a state court that requires the abusive person to stop the violence and abuse and maintain a certain distance from the victim. Depending on where you live, it can also be called a restraining order, protection order, an injunction, or an order of protection.

How do I get a protective order?
Different states have different processes, but as a general rule, appropriate forms have to be filled out and submitted to the county court house. A court date will be scheduled and both parties will be notified. If you are under 18, you will likely need parental consent.

Why would I get a protective order?
A protective order is legal protection against the abusive partner and can be enforced by police. Special provisions can be requested such as custody of children, continued financial support, getting the abuser to leave the residence, etc. Some states also require the abusive partner to surrender their firearms.

It’s important to note that while a protective order may help keep an abusive partner away from you, it does not work in every case. Some abusive partners continue to contact and abuse their partners despite the presence of a protective order. Some may become even more dangerous after an order is filed because it threatens their power and control over the relationship. While you cannot predict someone’s behavior, you know your situation best, and it’s a good idea to consider how your partner might react based on what you know about them before obtaining a protection order.

What happens when I get a protective order?
When the abuser does something that the court has ordered them not to do, or doesn’t do something the court has ordered them to do, they may have violated the order. You can ask the police or the court (or both, depending on the violation) to enforce the order. If you are not able to contact the police when the violation occurs, they should take a report if you call them soon afterwards. In some cases, violating a protective order might result in a misdemeanor or felony criminal conviction and punishment. These types of violations can also later be addressed by a civil court, and it is often a good idea to bring them to the court’s attention.

Things to consider before obtaining a protective order:

  • PROS: You will have legal documentation of protection; the abuse may stop; provisions can be made for children, finances, etc.; can still be enforced if you move or leave your home state
  • CONS: You will have to see the abusive partner in court; abuse may not decrease/abusive partner may not obey the order; some orders are not always enforced

Please note that police reports and protective orders are just parts of an overall safety plan and do not guarantee your safety from an abusive partner. Remember, you are the most knowledgeable person about your own situation, and you must use your own judgment about what is best for you. If you are considering taking legal steps against an abusive partner, we strongly recommend that you get in touch with a legal advocate, and we can help you find one in your area. Please call us at 1-800-799-7233 or chat online from 7am-2am CST.

Resources and additional information:

  • VINE (Victim Information & Notification Everyday): This service provides information about criminal cases and the custody status of offenders 24 hours a day
  • Full Faith and Credit: Refers to Section 2265 of VAWA and requires that a valid protection order issued in one state be treated another state as if it were one of its own. It enables the victim to travel safely without having to establish jurisdiction or secure a new protective order.
  • WomensLaw provides legal information and support to victims of domestic violence and assault.
  • Legal Services Corporation provides legal assistance to low-income individuals and families throughout the nation.
27 replies
  1. Mark says:

    Be aware that female abusers will also use false claims to obtain protective orders. If you’re a man who is experiencing this form of abuse, remember that the abuse is not your fault and don’t be afraid to tell your story as well. Don’t leave out details due to shame -if you are wondering whether or not to say something you should say it.

    • HotlineAdmin_KK says:

      Thank you for encouraging people, and men, to reach out for support and help. It can be very challenging for those experiencing intimate partner violence to talk about it and feel comfortable doing so. The Hotline provides confidential and anonymous support and resources to anyone in domestic violence. It is often common for abusive partners to manipulate the legal system in a number of ways, and that is very frustrating for those looking to that system for help and support.
      Anyone who is experiencing abuse by an intimate partner can contact The Hotline anytime. We’re open 24/7 at 1.800.799.7233, and chat services are available from 9 AM to 7 PM CST.
      Please reach out to us, Mark, if there is anything we can do for you anytime.

      Hotline_Advocate KK

    • Sahar says:

      Hi, I live in Malaysia, my husband is Malaysian, I have no family or friend here. I have 5months old baby.
      My husband became very aggressive since the baby is born. He told me baby cry make him angry and baby has to get hit to learn.
      I look after my baby all the time and at night I was scared to sleep because my baby would cry for milk. He started hitting me. I can’t live home. I’m scared to death. I’m worry for my baby
      I really need help
      Do you have any service in malaysia?
      Thank you

      • HotlineAdmin_RF says:

        Hello Sahar,
        Thank you so much for reaching out to our blog community. It sounds like the situation is very frightening and I see that you are looking for help. I am so sorry that this is happening to you and your baby. You sound like an incredibly strong person, and I can see that you are trying to find help and resources to keep yourself and your baby safe. Our program may be able to assist you and talk to you about ways to get out safely, we are anonymous, confidential and available 24 hours a day at (800) 799-7233. Seeing that you are in Malaysia, another resource that could be helpful is the website http://www.hotpeachpages.net . This website contains domestic violence resources for all over the world.I hope that you are able to find the resources you need for help, but of course feel free to call us if you are safe to do so and we can continue to offer support and options.
        Take care.
        Advocate RF

    • Velma says:

      Yes, my son is going through this in Washington State. His girlfriend with whom he lives, came from behind him and hit his head with a kitchen pot splitting his head open. If he threatens to report her abuse she will only she hit her arms and head on the edge of the wall to create bruises telling my son if he reported abuse she would say it was self defense.

      The girlfriend is delusional, continually lies, has so much rage and has abused my son and their six year old daughter shamelessly. It is impossible to remain silent anymore. I will surely go crazy. SHE has moved them 2200 miles away now and I cannot monitor this situation anymore and I am terrified. In the past I could distract her and take the abuse myself but now that I am not there she is surely going to hurt my family. My son continues to take the abuse thinking she will take the daughter away and no one will be there to monitor her and stop her from hurting the daughter.

      She will pretend to ‘roughhouse’ with the daughter as an excuse to hurt her. She always injures the daughter by bending her fingers or toes back until she cries out and accuses her mother of doing it on purpose. My son does not like her to use the curling iron on his daughter’s hair because the girlfriend uses the opportunity to burn the daughter. This woman uses any opportunity to hurt people or animals. The neighbors animals are not safe if they come into her yard.

      I agree, in no way would I want this woman alone with my granddaughter and even if the authorities took the daughter they almost always give the child BACK to the mother. This is complicated by the fact society does not realize how abusive women can be towards men. Many men suffer in silence thinking judges, police, and the law in general will automatically believe the woman when she says the man hit her….even though she may have self inflicted the wounds and much of her story is fictitious. She has bragged about her ability to ‘cry on cue’ if need be.

      She has managed to lose his phone and all contact with him must go through her. He has almost no privacy, even at his work she repeatedly calls until he is reprimanded. He lost his last job because of her behavior. She can be nice but it does not last long, then she is back to her rage.

      It is unbearable sometimes. I truly lack the skills and the knowledge to deal with her and I cannot imagine the living hell my son must go through.
      I have experienced only a small portion of her behavior….he came so close to suicide in May of 2014 he told me he just wanted the abuse to stop. He said he thought of his daughter being alone with her and he could not go through with the suicide. Thank God. I don’t think there is a way to stop her. I cannot now contact my son without her knowledge of our calls…she turns on the speaker phone so she hears every word. He is totally under her control. I fear she will kill my son eventually….and fake abuse or a beating to justify her actions. She is that violent and manipulative. I sometimes feel like an episode of ‘Dateline NBC’.

      If I call the police to check on things I will never be able to talk to my son or granddaughter again, she will cut off all communication. She has actually cut me off now…she called screaming and I told her to call back when she could calm herself down. I have been cut off since then. This is how she maintains control over everyone in the situation. It’s as if you no longer live in the United States of America…you live in the United States of Rebecca.

      Could he leave and take the daughter with him. Are there shelters for men with children like there are for women with children? Would they be protected?

      Thank you for your attention.

      Mrs. M*****

      • HotlineAdmin_AS says:

        Hello Mrs. M.,

        We’re so glad that you’ve reached out to our online community. Your son’s situation is terrifying, and we understand how being 2200 miles away from him and your granddaughter makes it all the more frightening. All of you deserve to be safe, and no one has the right to be controlling and abusive. It sounds like you and your son are doing everything you can so that he and his daughter can be safe in a very dangerous situation. His girlfriend is choosing to be incredibly manipulative and it sounds like your son feels trapped.

        There are resources all over the country that provide help to men who are being abused. You’re right about the challenges men face given the stigma of masculinity in our society. Truthfully, it can be difficult for any survivor to speak up about the abuse that they are enduring and ask for the help they need. This can be even more scary when you don’t think that anyone will believe you.

        If you would like to contact us, we can definitely talk about what your son is going through and how that’s affecting you. We can look at what resources might be available, and talk about ways to take care of yourself while you support your son through this traumatic experience. Having a loved one going through this type of crisis can have pronounced affects on someone, and taking care of yourself is extremely important. You can reach us by phone 24/7 at 1-800-799-7233 or online chat 9am-7pm CST. All of our conversations are confidential and anonymous. I know it may be difficult to get our information to your son, given his girlfriend’s control of the phones; perhaps you could reach him at work or leave a message there with our information. We’re here to help however we can.

        Take care,

        Hotline Advocate AS

  2. Sister says:


    I am looking for help for my sister. Unfortunately, we do not live anywhere near each other. I am in Florida and she is in San Antonio, Texas. She has no family or friends where she lives – they moved to Texas just over a year ago. His family lives there. Her father-in-law lives in the apartment next to hers. She hardly ever returns phone calls or texts from myself or other family members, including our mother. I last spoke with her over the weekend. We tried calling today, and both her phone and her husband’s phone are turned off. That is our only lifeline in knowing she is okay (relatively speaking). Now, we don’t even have that.

    She is married with a 9 year old son. A few things about her: she has not left her apartment complex but a few times in the past year; she does not have any valid identification; she has no access to money or transportation; she is not able to make any decisions about herself, her son, her family – anything. Her 9 year old son pushed her last week and she ended up with a cut and swollen lip and there was no consequences. And this is of course not everything that is going on with her.

    I believe that if I could go over there, she would leave her husband. Although she is not capable of caring for her son at this moment as she will need assistance in getting back on her own two feet and her son does not respect her one bit. Her husband should not care for him either as he is teaching their son to be abusive. Unfortunately, I do not have the financial means to go to Texas.

    Please advise – what can I or someone else do for her? She may or may not be willing to accept help. I am hoping that she will accept help if it is offered. I offered for her to stay with me in Florida if she got out and went to a local domestic violence shelter. She likes that idea, but needs some nudging. I am wondering if I were to call the local police and ask them to do a well-being check on her – and also provide them with what I know about the situation – if they could / would help her? Also, her husband has weapons.

    Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

    Thank you,


    • HotlineAdmin_VG says:

      That sounds like such an awful and terrifying situation. It must be so heartbreaking for your sister to be abused by not only her husband but also her son. I’m so glad that you’re helping your sister. Offering support and talking to your sister about different options are the best things you can do for her in an abusive situation. Most victims of abuse feel overwhelmed and stressed out, so they may go back and forth with the idea of getting help. That’s completely normal. Leaving can be just as terrifying as staying for some victims. We also know many abusers make all types of threats to make someone believe that staying is their best option. I’m glad that your sister is warming up to the idea of creating a safety plan. With your support, it probably be easier for her to make a decision and take action.

      You’ve come up with some great ideas already. A well-being check may be a good option and you may consider talking to the police about going when she is mostly likely to be home alone. She may be more willing to talk openly and accept help if he is not around. Going to a domestic violence shelter may be another option. Some shelters can also help with getting identification or transportation. We try to tailor safety plans to each individual situation and we would love to be able to safety plan with you. If you would like a list of resources or to go over a safety plan with one of our advocates, please contact us at 1-800-799-7233. We’re 24/7 and completely confidential.

      Take care,
      Hotline Advocate VG

      • Sister says:

        Thanks for you reply and advice. I think I am going to call her local DV shelter today and the police to do a well being check on her on Monday, when she will most likely be alone – unless her local shelter advises any different.
        Thank you!

  3. petra says:

    I have been on here a few times and you are always so supportive and helpful. I got out with my son 4 1/2 years ago and last year was given sole legal and physical custody of our son. my ex is bipolar among other things and I have grown a pretty thick skin since the only way he can get me is through email until somehow even though my son called with blocked number he got our phone number. he know is texting me daily have claimed to be homeless again, had a heart attack. no reason to live. I actually started to feel bad and when I tried to call to give him advice of course he doesnt answer knowing I would worry. after everything he has put us through and tried to kill me in front of my son he still wears me out but we have been living where we are now far from him for over 3 years. I even tried to go to court claiming harassment but the judge didnt deam him a threat even with all the history and court papers to back it up.
    I am tired of this and even appealed and lost.
    what can I do???
    I just want to be over and done. the only thing I have to do because of our son is email updates. but I just want him out and gone for good since he doesnt ever seem to be willing to stop.
    my nerves are shot and I work 2 jobs and have lung issues and he doesnt pay any childsupport.
    sorry needed to vent

    • HotlineAdmin_AS says:

      Hi Petra,

      Please don’t apologize; our online community is here to be a safe place for people to share their experiences and get support and help. We’re so glad that you’re reaching out. It sounds like you recognize the tactics that your ex uses to manipulate and hurt you, and it’s understandable that you still feel affected by his choices. You’ve done a lot to create a safe place for yourself and your son, and it must be incredibly frustrating to have your son’s father contact you after 4 and a half years. You still have the right to be safe, and nothing can change that, even if your ex is refusing to recognize that right.

      Please know that you can call us 24/7 and talk to an advocate anonymously and confidentially at 1-800-799-7233. We can help you figure out other ways to stay safe, and connect you with local resources like legal programs, if you think they might be helpful. It may also be beneficial to talk about ways that you can protect and take care of yourself emotionally and mentally, as I hear that this situation is exhausting for you. Making sure that you’re getting the support and care you need can be very helpful in building the resiliency needed to get through this situation.

      We’re here when you need us.

      Hotline Advocate AS

  4. Barb says:

    I am wondering if anyone knows how the military reserves can be notified of domestic violence. I/we are trying to help my girlfriend and when he was arrested the state officer said the military would “know” but we have found that not to be true. MANY of us feel they need to know what he has done to more than one woman, but mostly my friend. Does anyone know if there is any communication between civilian and military law enforcement?

    • HotlineAdmin_AS says:

      Hi Barb,

      We’re so glad that you’re reaching out for support and information. It’s great that your girlfriend has people in her life who want to help her be safe. Working in the intersection of military and civilian law enforcement can be challenging, especially depending on the specifics of the situation. For example, if someone is living on a military base and needed a protective order, they would likely need a military protective order that is valid on the base itself, and possibly a civilian protective order, for the times they leave base.

      We can definitely share the information we have with you or your friend, so that she can make the decisions that she feels would be the safest for her. You can reach us by phone 24/7 at 1-800-799-7233 or by online chat via our website 9am-7pm CST. All conversations are kept anonymous and confidential.

      Again, we’re so glad that your friend has support and help as she works through what sounds like a dangerous and scary situation.

      We’re here when you need us.

      Hotline Advocate AS

  5. Andrew says:

    I have a friend who separated from her boyfriend and child, there was verbal abuse during the relationship and then physical abuse during the break where the police were involved and charges were made out. My friend went of the grid for a few weeks and I just found out that they are now back together. 1) I am sad 2) I have no idea what to do here, she is an adult and makes her own decisions and if I interfere I will end our friendship… do I let this just play out? Man, I feel horrible!

    • HotlineAdmin_AS says:

      Hi Andrew,

      We’re so glad that you’re part of our online community, and are reaching out for support. Seeing someone you care about in an abusive relationship is incredibly challenging and scary. It can be difficult to balance your concern for you friend and your understanding that, as an adult, she has the right to make her own decisions. Having the support of loved ones can be incredibly empowering for someone who is being abused, especially as you treat her with respect and show her that she deserves to be safe.

      Our Hotline advocates talk to friends and family members every day about supporting a loved one who is in an abusive relationship. We can help you figure out how to provide support and help for your friend, as well as identify ways to take care of yourself during this scary time. You can reach us by phone 24/7 at 1-800-799-7233 or chat online 9am-7pm CST. We keep all conversations anonymous and confidential.

      Take care,

      Hotline Advocate AS

  6. Chelsea says:

    I have been with my husband for six years. The abuse has gotten out of control. It started off first verbally, then it went to physical with him crying and apologizing making me forgive him to very physical and verbal. He doesn’t apologize anymore he just says you deserve it. You’ll learn to do what I say or shut up when I tell you to etc. we have two kids together and they are very young 1 and 3. I am doing my best to protect them from all of this. It breaks my heart to say that it has happened in front of them before. He drug me up to this area away from my family. From what I read that’s what abusers do. They take you away from people that they know will help you. Every time I try to call the police he breaks every phone in the house and holds me hostage so I can’t go to a neighbor. Then he will start hitting himself with objects such as a lamp saying he’s going to make sure that I go to jail if he does. It’s just a terrible situation and I just wanted to get advice and devise a plan to once and for all

    • HotlineAdmin_SG says:


      Thank you so much for sharing with our blog community. It sounds like this has been such a dangerous situation, and like things have definitely escalated. You are right, people who are abusive do isolate their partner from their support system. That is one of the many strategies that abusers will use to gain power and control in the relationship. That also includes trying to manipulate the situation so he can seem like the victim, or minimizing the abuse so you can feel confused through it all. Check out the power and control wheel to find out a little more about the other strategies that are used.

      I am so glad that you are reaching out. It sounds like you are really trying to think about all the ways you can get safe. Know that you can definitely call us 24/7, The National Domestic Violence Hotline, at 1800-799-7233 to talk through what is going on as well as brainstorm options and a plan to leave safely. We know the most dangerous time in an abusive situation is when you are trying to leave, he is going to do everything he can to make sure that does not happen. We can help make that plan. If you are unable to call us by phone, we do have a chat line that operates Monday-Friday from 9am-7pm CST where you will still be able to talk to an advocate.

      I hope you are able to contact us.
      Until then,

  7. maria says:

    I am in a situation that makes me feel uneasy. I feel a huge hole in my stomach, no appetite and my heart beat just goes crazy on me. My husband has been abusing me for a long time. I try to shut my mouth and not say anything, I feel like he enjoys persecuting me with texts, e-mails and verbally threatening me everyday. One day does not go by without him harassing me. My daughter feels the same way. The abuse is unending and I now feel abdominal pains when I get stressed over what he says to me and my daughter. The pain is unbearable, it feels as if my tummy is going to blow up. I cry over the pain at night and wonder how I have gotten to this point. He threatens that if I sell my minivan, I will suffer consequences. I need money to fix two broken molars. I need to get some heavy dental work done and he says there is no money for me to do anything. My only choice is to sell my minivan to get money for this need. I am desperately looking for work and applying, but because of bad credit, I’m not getting hired. I can’t live like this everyday and neither can my daughter. He calls her ugly names and insults her badly, and my heart sinks and I wish I could grab my daughter and run away for ever. Neither one of us wants to live with him anymore. It’s hard to wake up to insults, demands, name calling, threats of not giving me money for food or anything else. This guy is just not happy, he is miserable and enjoys hurting me and my kid. She cries and asks to be taken away from here, but without money where can I go and where is it safe for both of us? I need to talk to someone, because I feel horrible, I feel too much pain inside and I need to scream for help. IS there anyone out there reading? listening? :(

    • HotlineAdvocate_MT says:

      Dear Maria,
      Thank you for sharing your story with us. Many callers tell us that the abuse they suffer also affects their health. It sounds as though the abuse is causing you severe digestive issues. I hope that you can access you public health services and see a doctor or visit a clinic to find out what is going on.

      Your husband sounds horrible and the abuse he puts your daughter through must be devastating for her as well. Maybe you could consider a domestic violence shelter? This would allow you some time to get on your feet and they may even be able to help you find employment.

      I’m sorry you are going through such a difficult time. Please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline so that we can discuss options and resources for you. The number is (800) 799-7233.

      Hotline Advocate MT

  8. Sheila says:


    We are in ——, Colorado. My daughter has been in an abusive relationship for over four years. They have a three year old daughter together. Her boyfriend has been arrested for domestic violence several times and has a history of taking the child, hiding her and threatening to take her to Texas. My granddaughter has often come to my house telling me that daddy say’s she is “bad”….she pulls her hair when she is frustrated…and often has welts on her skin. There is a family physician involved but I don’t know that he reports anything to social services.

    Last November, my daughter called me because she was barricaded in a bedroom with the child. I could hear her boyfriend screaming that he was going to call the police. I called the police. As I waited on the line, I learned that the boyfriend fled the scene because he had marijuana on his person. My daughter couldn’t leave because he had the car seat.

    The police officer arrived and arrested her because her boyfriend ran up to them in the parking lot and claimed to have had a ripped shirt. I haven’t seen my granddaughter since II babysat her the day of her mother’s arraignment. Friday, I asked my daughter when I could see my granddaughter and was told that the father had taken her to Texas and that my daughter signed papers allowing him to do this. She refused to tell me when her daughter would return.

    I have no idea where she is. I have no idea if she is safe. My daughter told me to respect the decision to allow the father to take the child and that I needed to stay out of their lives. I know her boyfriend is angry that I called the police.

    First, I don’t know how to find out if the child is safe.
    Secondly, I’d like to know how to advocate for other women in this community. We have Primary Aggressor laws in Colorado but this police department is obviously not following that protocol. Is there anything I can do?

    Any advice will be appreciated.

    • HotlineAdmin_LC says:

      Hi Sheila,

      Your situation sounds really scary and I want to thank you for reaching out. Having someone you love and care about being treated with abuse is a very frustrating thing especially when there are children involved. We have a page on our site about supporting loved ones being abused that may be helpful here. Also, please feel free to reach out to an advocate to talk about this situation. We are here everyday on chat from 7am to 2am CST and reachable 24/7 at 1-800-799-7233.

      Also, thank you for wanting to get involved in your community around the issue of domestic violence. The best place to start would be by contacting your local domestic violence shelter. One of our advocates can help you locate one in your area as well.

      Take care,

      Hotline Advocate LC

  9. Bahar says:

    Been in abusive relationship in the past. Few sever incidents happened in the past and I didn’t take legal actions against my then-partner. Having evidence such as photos and witnesses ,also Doctor’s notes, can I still seek legal help or is it too late ?

    • HotlineAdmin_RG says:

      Hello Bahar,

      Thank you for reaching out. I’m sorry that you had to go through that abusive relationship. Documenting abuse is always a good idea. Photos, witnesses and doctor’s notes are all valid forms of documentation. Laws differ by state so unfortunately I can’t answer your questions directly but it may still be possible to take legal action. I encourage you to contact The Hotline directly. Our advocates can explore options with you, provide legal information resources and connect you with a legal advocate in your area. You can reach us 24/7 by phone at 1-800-799-7233 or through chat everyday from 7am to 2am CST.

      Take care,
      Hotline Advocate RG

  10. Jennifer says:

    I live in NYC…I’am in a long term relationship for the past 7 years. I had left my part to move to GA but things got tough for me and my sister, and we had to come back to nyc. I had went into a women shelter, but try to fix thing with my partner so we got back together i never called the police although they have knocked on my door during a dispute… look i don’t care for police i just want to… he’s getting worse by the the day… i just had back surgery i lost my job and my sister won’t let me go because my situaton is unsafe for her kids i should’ve stayed in the shelter but i thought my absence changed him…. i love him i don’t want him to to jail i just want leave I’m so tired of arguing and fighting… i don’t have any children no job no police repot and no where to go he knows where the —-women shelter is… i don’t know what to do

    • HotlineAdmin_RG says:

      This post has been modified to remove identifying information.

      Hello Jennifer,

      That certainly sounds like a difficult situation that would be best served by communicating with you directly. Please give us a call 24/7 at 1-800-799-7233. Our advocates would be happy to provide you with some valuable resources, such as alternative shelters, and possible strategic solutions.

      Take care,
      Hotline Advocate RG

Comments are closed.